Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Red Riding Hood

"...and Granny, what big teeth you have."
"THE BETTER TO EAT YOU MY DEAR!" cried the wolf.

Oh yes. One of my children's favorite childhood storybooks.  Red Riding Hood came to live with us since my oldest was about five.  I remember it as if it was yesterday.  I got a Scholastic catalog from his Foundation or Kindergarten class and was told there were some fun story books available to order as a fundraiser. I ordered the set of a few books that came with cassette tapes (yeah those good old days). We listened to them all.  Since English was/is my second language, I so appreciated the story tellers' animated voices. It brings the story alive.  My most favorite one out of the set, of course, was Red Riding Hood.

Its moral was to teach kids to be aware of stranger with "charming manners" who could "eat" them up at the end if they disregarded mama's warning of "do not tarry, do not speak to any strangers".

Peter loves this story so much that it has become one of our night-time readings.  I have misplaced the cassette tape but still remember how the narrator threw his voice around the story so I imitated him to the best of my ability.  We have a great time reading that book nightly for over a month now. So when I heard him reciting the story to Joshua this morning, I chuckled. Yup! Another Red Riding Hood fan we have here!

The book is probably going to stay in the family for a long time. Waiting for our grandchildren to come over and be read to by me someday. Yes, I will be sure to throw my voice around the story to capture their attention. Promised.

Can you see all the marks on the cover? The book is so loved!

No comments: