Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lacinato Kale

I have heard so much benefits about kale but the truth is I never try cooking any of them (the varieties scared me off, I guess). This past weekend I came across this Organic Lacinato Kale from the Farmer's Market so I decided to give it a try. This vegetable has very hard stems (hence the name Dino Kale) and my common sense led me to rip the leaves off the stems before cooking them. I was glad to find out I did the right thing after reading about it from Google. It tasted so wonderful that I know I would do it again. It is loaded with vitamin K (680%!) besides all the other good nutrients it contains.


These dark leaves looked very interesting, they looked good enough to be a center piece on the dinner table, in my opinion. The dark green color made me feel healthy eating them.


We tried to put some water on the back of the leaf and voila! They looked like pieces of crushed ice. You have to see it in person to see the amazing effect!

I sauteed the veggies by following this supper easy recipe - I added some unsalted butter, some sweet corns and two small bowls of water (one bowl at a time as i sauteed it) to keep them from turning brown.


It was an yummy side dish with the "Dash" roasted chicken and rice. I will definitely make this meal again.

~This post is linked to Alicia's Homemaking

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought some kale recently for the first time too. I've put it in smoothies a couple of times. I should try fixing them this way though....it sounds good!

Jen said...

Kale in smoothie... Mmmm... that sounds good, too. So far I've only tried spinach in smoothie. I did try a cabbage and carrot icecream the other day at Costco. The rep from the Blender blended up that delicious treat and my kids actually liked it. One day, when we are able, I definitely want one of those supper Blending machine. :)

Alicia said...

Very interesting! I've never made Kale before, so this is helpful! I want to make it (chard, too!) sometime this summer.

Thanks for linking up, Jenny!