Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Master List and one-motion storage

I got the Master List idea from Carrie. I thought it was neat and perhaps I could do just that- walk through the house and jot down things that need to be re-organized, repaired or replaced. However, the thought of trying to do this during schooling months and with little Peter was just too overwhelming to me. I was standing in my kitchen at the time I thought of that idea. Then, a light bulb came on – How about just one area – say, the kitchen? Bite size chores always motivate me. After going around the kitchen, from left to right, I had a list of 14 things to do. I am happy to say I finished one on the list so far – the small counter space right next to the garage door – a dumping ground for everything (you wouldn't want to see the before picture). This time, though, I didn’t move the stuff on that counter top to another counter top. I PUT them away to their homes. The handling it only once habit that I use to deal with mails is kicking in and I am thrilled. Now this little space has become my kitchen towel "folding table" (or should I say rolling?). After I rolled up the towels, I just place them right into the drawers underneath the counter. That’s called “one motion” storage – key to getting oneself to put thing away. I learned it from this book confessions of a happily organized family by Deniece Schofield.

Here’s what she said about the one-motion storage:
“One-motion storage is the key to getting the kids to put things back. It’s easier for you to put things away, too. When something takes the least extra bit of effort to put away, it’s put down at the point of last use with the promise it’ll be put away when time permits.
That’s why the outdoor Christmas lights are still in the rain gutter come spring. That’s why the large platters and serving dishes are stacked on the counter for days after the party. That’s why stored clothing doesn’t fit the child by the time you get it out of storage.
Young or old, male or female, we all hate extra motions. As we mature, with luck, we can work around this idiosyncrasy. But children aren’t as apt to do that, so one-motion storage is the key to getting cooperation.”

It is a good reference book on organizing our home, imo.


My towel "rolling table".


One-motion storage.

1 comment:

*carrie* said...

Jenny,

I appreciate that organizing book, too! Glad you found the master list idea helpful.

Here's a link to a similar stroopwaffel recipe that I've used: http://www.recipezaar.com/Stroopwafels-143903

carrie