Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Housekeeping

The word "housekeeping" stroke people differently. People either like it or hate it. In my case, there's no middle ground. I have tried to be neutral about it and it did not work.

There are books of all different methods to help us keep our house clean and organized and some even promise if we follow it thoroughly our house will practically cleanse itself.

Obviously it is a war on words. If a book is written well enough to win someone's mind or hit a spot many readers have been struggled for a while, the book (method) then for sure would become the best seller on the market.

I remember the Sidetracked House Executives was a hit. I learned lots of ideas from them, such as how to organize your day/week/month/year in the 3x5 cards. Then Don Aslett's book title Clutter's Last Stand was so catchy and the book was such a fun read that I actually learned how to clean (non organically at the time) per his suggestions, especially on the kitchen counter tops. Then Elizabeth George's "A woman after God's own heart" made me aware of how God wants us to be the manager of our own home. Another author was Emily Barnes. Her books were everywhere and I even bought one but I don't think I got much out of it except that later on from somewhere an interview I read that she wished she didn't focus so much on keeping the house to a point where she didn't spend as enough time with her son(s). That was a warning I heeded and have always made sure that I am serving my family before tackling the house chores.

Of course FLYlady hit the ground running and I ran with it, on and off since 1999. I have learned the power of 15 minutes and the importance of the bedroom sanctuary and the swish swash (which you probably have read from some posts I wrote here a while ago). Later in the 2000's the blog world opened my eyes with so many Bloggers started blogging about housekeeping as a business. I meant I literally followed some blogs for a duration just because I loved all the Before and After pictures. Pinterest also did a number to me.

Sad to say that even with all of these reading my house still remained a hot mess for a long time. I did have some progresses for a spell of time when I worked the "methods". But they all crumbled as soon as I got sidetracked - aka got lazy or busy. I struggled with it. You see, by cleaning and keeping the house tidy is a form of my worship to God. Not being able to do a good job at it truly discouraged me. But we do serve a merciful God and a God Who DOES know our heart's desire. I bummed into the "Zero Waste Home" Blog. From there I have learned how to let stuff go. It was a minimalism approach and it made so much sense to me. It was the "important and sentimental STUFF" that's holding me back all these years! What a liberation to have finally found the cause of my problem!

Just as I was ready to tackle the "STUFF" we had three special major events took place this May/June and even though I did not physically do a lot of the planning and executing of the events, they were weighing yet on my mind constantly. I decided it would be best to wait till July is over to begin the journey (hopefully for the last time) of cleaning out my house.

That's when I heard of the Konmarie method. Out of curiosity I borrowed the book from the library (I learned this from the Zero Waste Home - buying is the last resort) and am still reading it. To date, I have to say I am having a hard time accepting her art of tidying philosophies whole heartily. Like many concerned Christians who had read the book commented on the fact that she gives thanks to objects instead of the Giver of all things. That fact bothers me as well. Other than that part, there are practical applications of her ideas. The clothes folding method and the daily purse purging are the two things I am trying out currently.

All in all, I feel that the housekeeping skill is lost since the schools stopped offering Home Ed. Many of our moms walking out of the kitchen in the 60's also contributed to this dilemma. All the chores our grandparents did "naturally" are now the expertise we have to spend money to acquire.

Can there be one way of housekeeping proficiency? Can we learn to love housekeeping? Or at least enjoy it? Perhaps. For me, the minimal mindset has helped a great deal. With all of these information I have gathered through the years ought to help me stay on track. I pray when another life event takes place again I will be ready for it and won't let it take away all the effort I have put in managing and caring of our home.

Since I have to choose either to love it or hate housekeeping, I have decided to love it. After all, there is a joy in doing even the most mundane tasks in life, if I commit myself to it. Surely I have pledged my life to serve my family as unto the Lord, I have tasted the fruit of this labor, it is indeed sweet.




Learned from Don Aslett to always clean kitchen counters from left to right.




Evening Routine ~ A shinny sink always gives me energy in the morning.


I try to keep my sanctuary as clean and peaceful as possible always. I have loved entering our bedroom since the transformation and yes I make the bed first thing every morning after I get up.

This is what my night table is like currently. The Orchid did not last very long in this room. I like to have plants in all the rooms so I may figure out some other heartier plants to put here soon.

One part of our homeschool room. I love this IKEA shelf-cubes! 

THIS has been a HOT SPOT since we moved in. My daily chore for sure.


We are a book family and I am very thankful to have a few built-in bookshelves. I am looking forward to tweak them till I like them. This set up is very soothing to my eyes, so far...


Ha! I can't resist to post this picture. You know who folds clothes this way, right...? :)

No comments: