Pages

Friday, May 1, 2009

Carrie, this one is for you

Hi Carrie,
I found your list interesting and thought I would make comment on it instead of writing a separate comment to congratulate you on your second blogiversary!
Hope I could finish before my bed time (10pm).

1. I am not a big fan of cats. Neither am I.
2. My husband and I have a beautiful springer spaniel named Reggie. Nice.
3. I used to collect crayons and Crayola products. We only collected two L.E. packs back in the ’90.
4. I lived in a suburb of Paris for a summer while I was in college. Fun!
5. I love taking personality tests, like Myers-Briggs (I am an ENFJ.) I am an Anne Elliot?!
6. I stopped eating red meat when I was 18. I still like it once in a while.
7. My favorite color is most any shade of blue. Mine is, well… I don’t have a favorite one. I like all the colors. My dress-color is by season and mood.
8. I love chocolate and caramel together. Mmm, Twix! Butterscotch for me.
9. My husband and I live almost exactly half-way between his hometown in Michigan and mine in Colorado. My hubby and I lived a few apartments apart and didn’t even know it (we met at work).
10. I was president of my senior class in high school. Very impressive. I didn’t get to enjoy my high school years much as I was so new to the country at the time. I was much overwhelmed with learning a new language. I was so determent to do it that I went to ESL classes day and night in those two high school years. I wanted to know the language so that I could be a proud citizen for the country which has given me the freedom.
11. My first job was as a receptionist at a salon. Mine was a part time cashier at a Car Wash.
12. I’ve never had to wear braces or glasses. (Sorry to my sister who has dealt with both!) I never had braces but it is time to go get my glasses (age problems here). I’ve been living in denial too long.
13. I love healthy cereals, like Kashi Go Lean Crunch and Cascadian Farm granola. I don’t eat cereals. I like warm breakfast (a cultural thing).
14. When using colored muffin paper liners, I can’t let two of the same color be next to each other. (Strange, I know!) It is an artist at work.
15. My current favorite scent from Bath and Body Works is black raspberry and vanilla. “Pleasures” for me from Estate Lauder. An indulgent from my dear hubby.
16. I am a Christian. That’s why I read your Blog.
17. I was quite the actress in high school; my favorite role was Gwendolen in The Importance of Being Ernest. I was in the play Binding ties at our former church. A supporting role.
18. I learned to drive on a ’79 Chevette. I had my first blue Chevette in ’81.
19. I majored in English education. Business Management for me but got married in the middle of it.
20. My husband and I love playing board games, especially Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan and Scrabble. Scrabble and Monopoly for us.
21. I’m 5’6” and the tallest woman in my family! I’m 5’9”, tallest girl in the school back home.
22. My favorite toothpaste is Aquafresh. Tom’s here.
23. I want to like sewing, but I don’t. I sew (basic stuff) but scrapbooking is more of my taste.
24. My shoe size is 8.5. Mine is…10.
25. I was a dorm director for two years, and found the job to be very well-suited to me. Were you very strict? :)
26. I enjoy watching American Idol (It’s a guilty pleasure!) and Survivor. 911 and Discovery Channel for me but that’s many years ago. We are TV less since 1994.
27. My husband and I went to Maui for our honeymoon and can’t wait to go back! We are hoping to go to Germany on our 25th.
28. I was in a boating accident when I was 22 and have been afraid of large bodies of water ever since. One of my older brothers drown in the ocean and I escaped by the route of water after the war – I was 16 (have you heard of the term boat people? That’s us) the fear of water is still one area I need to overcome.
29. My favorite writers are Wendell Berry, Anne Lamott and Lauren Winner. Mine are Elizabeth George and Debi Pearl.
30. I love Christmas! I like Christmas but I love Thanksgiving.
31. I am a fan of yoga. Did a little of that back when I was way young.
32. My favorite coffeeshop drink is a caramel steamer. Fappuccino for me.
33. I love making lists. I think I do, too. I am making one right now…
34. I wear jewelry (including earrings) only a few times a year. I used to do it with every outfit (I was in modeling) but now, plain is my dress code everyday.
35. My spiritual gifts are leadership, encouragement and mercy. I will have to ask my husband and my friends on this one.
36. I like most kinds of music, except rap, heavy metal, punk, and some country. Agree.
37. I had six bridesmaids in my wedding. Are they all your sisters?
38. I have been a bridesmaid five times. Wow!
39. My favorite Bible verse is Isaiah 41:9-10. Mine is Proverb 3:4-6
40. I don’t drink caffeine. (But I do love chocolate!) I drink decaf and I like dark chocolate.
41. I have been a loyal subscriber to Real Simple magazine for several years. I subscribed to the same magazine for two years. I like Victoria, Martha Stewart, Country Home and Taste of Home.
42. I’ve lived in four states so far: Kansas, Missouri, Colorado and Iowa. One for me, so far. California.
43. I’m a sucker for movies like Anne of Green Gables, Little Women and all the Jane Austen ones, especially the “original” Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth! My Mr. Darcy! :) I like all of these movies, too.
44. It really bothers me when people crack their knuckles and other joints. Urr… I used to do that but have stopped… Oh no, now that you said it, I feel like I want to crack… Just kidding!
45. I used to love playing “Heads Up, Seven Up” in elementary school. I sometimes cheated, by looking at other kids’ shoes. (Just being honest!) Hide and seek was my favorite childhood play.
46. When I bake or cook, I rarely measure things exactly. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. Depends on where I got the recipe. My mom never cooks with measurement.
47. I’ve never smoked a cigarette—just a cigar, once, and I thought it was terrible. No smoking for me either. I can’t even stand sitting next to one that does that. When I went back east four years ago, I was so surprised smoking was not banned in some areas.
48. I have my orange belt in karate. A good form of exercise.
49. I was a camp counselor for several summers while I was in high school and college. We camp almost every summer (the tent way).
50. I enjoy making little cards and crafty things. I used to be a Stampin’ Up Demonstrator and now I am a Creative Memories consultant. You can say I do like paper crafts. :)
51. I haven’t vacuumed in months (Don’t worry, my husband does it—we have a Dyson, and he loves using it!) You are so lucky! I wish I have Dyson. I am eyeing on one. Maybe one day…
52. I get really excited about “small world” connections. Hello there!
53. I was a Girl Scout for several years. My daughter was in Keeper’s for many years.
54. I love all kinds of containers—baskets, jars and bins. Me, too.
55. I have a group of friends called the Wild Honeys! Wow!
56. My favorite pies are apple and pumpkin. Pumpkin for me.
57. I sometimes regret that I don’t know how to play a musical instrument. I’ve tried learning the piano and guitar, but never stuck with either. I know what you mean. I would love to know how to play piano. All of my children have had instrument/choir lessons.
58. I am often troubled by stereotypes and generalizations. And gossips.
59. I love Mexican food, especially burritos and fajitas. I like Italian and French food. Chinese food is a given.
60. I love warmer weather but live in a colder climate (Iowa) and my sister, who enjoys cold weather, lives in South Carolina. Go figure. I like colder weather, too. But my husband doesn’t want to leave California.
61. I do not like “gourmet” cheese (goat, feta)—Kraft cheddar is good enough for me! We do drink goat milk, eat goat milk yogurt and occasionally have some lamb shops. T.J. cheddar is our favorite cheese.
62. I love finding a good bargain. Same here.
63. My son was the first boy to be born on both sides of the family. He has four girl cousins! We have more boys than girls in our family as well as the extend families.
64. In school, I really enjoyed math until I hit Algebra. My husband was a math major. I am using math everyday (budgeting) and teaching my young son math sure brings back some memories. I am neutral on this one.
65. During my freshman year of college, I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. After struggling with it for many years, pregnancy of all things seems to have cleared up my symptoms. Hooray! Praise the Lord!
66. I don’t have the knack for trump card games, but I’m working on it. What is that?
67. In high school, I played basketball and soccer, though neither very well. My daughter plays basketball. She is so tall (5’ 10”) this sport is good for her.
68. My favorite chain restaurants are Chili’s and Red Robin. Olive Garden and Red’s BBQ for me.
69. I’m an inconsistent bowler—one game, I’ll get a 108, and the next, 60. “ Bowling” is how it sounds in my Chinese name when my husband called me (he is American). I used to bowl, too. I have my own ball (a pearl color, very pretty). I would love to get back to that.
70. I like to sing in the car. When I do dishes.
71. I have many amazing friends, but my best friend is my husband. Can’t agree with you more.
72. I’m not a stickler about separating colors when it comes to laundry, and rarely has it backfired. That makes the two of us.
73. I’m a big fan of comfortable shoes, and have only worn high heels for weddings and other formal occasions. I had to wear flats due to my height. When I was in the modeling field I wore plenty of high heels but now I am fine with flats again.
74. I was born seven weeks early. I was on time… I think.
75. My name, Carrie, means “strength.” My name, Jenny, means “peace maker”.
76. I have always liked my name, but when I was younger, I wished my name was Victoria or Karen. When I had to choose an American name, I originally wanted to be Jane but couldn’t pronounce it right so it sounded like Gin and everyone just started calling me Jenny. I thought that was not a bad name so I settled it to be Jenny. Sometimes my husband calls me Jen and I love it, too.
77. My personality changes when I play the game Catch Phrase. I get way into it, and start frantically yelling out clues and answers. Haha!
78. I’ve never successfully used chopsticks. I am a pro…
79. I drive a light blue Saturn, which I named Meredith. We have a Toyota Corolla, love it. Economy car. Save lots on gas and insurance.
80. I do not like most condiments, including mayo, ketchup and mustard. I use mayo in sandwich, ketchup in fried rice and mustard with chilli paste with steak. Rarely have three of them combined.
81. I think the movie Napoleon Dynamite is hilarious. My husband does not. Have not seen it.
82. I enjoy shopping at Target, especially hitting all the endcap clearance sales! My husband does not. I like on-line shopping better. Oh no! We just had an earth-quake! Just at this second I am typing to you. We had one earlier (at 6:11pm at 4.4). I don’t think I will be sleeping well tonight.
83. I used to think gardening sounded boring. Now I’m so excited to watch the veggies grow. What fun to go out and pick fresh ingredients for a meal! I envy you.
84. I am afraid of airplane bathrooms. They’re so little! I know…
85. I’m OK with regifting, as long as it’s done responsibly. Same here.
86. At Olive Garden, I always order all-you-can-eat soup, salad and breadsticks. My son and his family do that, too. He said something that there’s no limit on refills…?
87. I enjoy reading the nutrition labels on most foods. I like to know what goes into our bodies, too. We eat organically 95% of the time.
88. I have never seen any of the following popular movie series: Lord of the Rings, Star Wars or Rocky. I saw Lord of the Rings (all three), some of the Star Wars and none Rocky.
89. In 4th grade, I won the class spelling bee with the word “lieutenant.” I was praised for my essay (in Chinese) in front of the whole class by my teacher.
90. I don’t wear makeup, but I love lip balms and lotions. I don’t wear makeup unless it is a special occasion. I like my body lotion very much. Skin care is very important to me. Not makeup.
91. I love to organize closets and cabinets. (It runs in my family!) I like organizing, too. That’s what lead me to your sister’s Blog and eventually, yours.
92. I believe in practicing “reduce, reuse, recycle.” Count me in!
93. Tulips and daisies are my favorite flowers (“Don’t you think daisies are the friendliest flower?”) I like those two flowers, too, next to roses.
94. I have green eyes. Mine are dark brown.
95. I like living in a small town. We should be next door neighbors
96. I can’t drink milk by itself—I only have it on cereal. I only use milk for cooking.
97. I love black and white photographs. I like them, too. I had some black and white wedding photos and they are my favorite.
98. On September 11, 2001, I was teaching 8th grade language arts in Colorado Springs. We had the TV on in my classroom for most of the day. I slept in that day when my sister called. What a way to wake up.
99. I failed my first driver’s license test by pulling out in front of another car. Oops! I had to take the written test three times (last time was done in the Chinese language). The driving was not a problem.
100. I am thankful for my family! Amen for that!
Whew! I can’t believe I did it. Now I feel like I know you better. It is passed bed time but I am right awake, thanks to the after shake!

1 comment:

*carrie* said...

Jenny--wow, what a way to meet you! I appreciate you taking the time to respond to each item on my list--it was fun to read.

I also noticed your other post about the pizzelles--I have a yummy cookie recipe made on a pizzelle iron. They're called stroopwaffels (Dutch for "syrup waffle")--mmmmm.